Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Japan

My family was saddened by the host of disasters that hit Japan just last week. Because Japan is the family's fav country and we would visit every year.

My affinity to Japan started when I was in NUS. Then I had chosen to study Japanese Studies as one of my main subjects, as I was thinking, since I had to pay school fees, I might as well take a language. Then no need to pay to learn outside.

Why Japanese? So I can read Japanese menus and labels of Japanese stuff.

I had a short stint in Nagoya during third year in NUS. Spent three wonderful weeks there and made many friends. When I left, I cried in the plane and I missed the place and the people terribly. I have never felt that way for a country and probably won't have the same sentiment for another.


I also dreamt of marrying a Japanese. But I was already dating Clem. Incidentally, he shared that his dream was to marry a Japanese gal. I guess, at least we marry people with the same dream.

I almost decided to go to Japan as a missionary after graduation. But a few months after grad, Clem proposed and we got married a year later. So that mission was never fulfilled.

Cavan is also in love with Japan. Food-wise. At 18 months, he had his first bowl of karaage-don and had never looked back. Whenever we asked what he'd like to have for lunch/ dinner. The answer is always Japanese Food! And Japan was the 1st place he experienced snow. So that always held a special place in his heart.

Verity loves Japan because of... Hello Kitty! It's madness but Japan's full of the merchandise. Enough to make any gal go ga-ga.

And Vesper. Well, she was made in Japan. Enough said.

Japan has given us many great memories. We continue to pray for Japan that God's mercy be upon them and the nation will restore quickly. I am sure the Japanese's steely determination will bring them through.
Gambatte ne!

No comments: