Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Name for #3

For the 1st time, we already had a name for our baby even before she was born.
For Cavan, we didn't check the gender so we prepared a list of boy and gal names. Cavan was shortlisted and he had the Cavan look, so it was perfect.
The name Verity was not in the list of names when we had Cavan. I was inspired cos I knew someone named Verity and she was a sweet person. And the name was so sweet, and not a hybrid. And you can find it in a dictionary.
This time round, we decided to start early a few months ago. I polled the stakeholders and asked what name is nice for our baby. The following names came up:
Hannah - suggestor: Cavan. Not a bad name. Biblical too. Why did you choose this name, I asked. Bcos I like Hannah Montana, he said. Strike off.
Sarah - suggestor: Verity. No particular reason. But too common, I said. So, strike off.
After this came many suggestions. Eventually, Cavan the ingenious one exclaimed with a sparkle in his eyes.
"I know, I know! We combine my name and Verity's name. We call our baby Cavity!"
We laughed and ruffled his hair. He was so innocently pleased with his contribution until we told him what that meant.
We were still in search of a name, preferably starting with "V". I jokingly told Clem that since I can't have my dream scooter, Vespa, I might as well name our baby Vespa.
This name got stuck. And I was getting serious. And Clem thinks I'm being ridiculous.
Later, I remembered that there was an English word "Vesper". I checked and got the following:
1. Vesper Martini is a cocktail that was originally made of gin, vodka, and Kina Lillet.
Oops, ok, I like Martini but I don't think this is a selling point if I need to convince Clem.
2. the evening star, esp. Venus; Hesper.
3. Also called vesper bell . a bell rung at evening.

4. a) a religious service in the late afternoon or the evening.
b) the sixth of the seven canonical hours, or the service for it, occurring in the late afternoon or the evening.
c) Roman Catholic Church . a part of the office to be said in the evening by those in major orders, frequently made a public ceremony in the afternoons or evenings of Sundays and holy days.
d) evensong

5. evening

It didn't sound so bad after all. I smsed Clem that I've decided to name baby Vesper.

He: What? I'm not going to name my baby after a scooter.
I: It's not Vespa, it's Vesper
He: What does it mean?
I: It means evening
He: First, it sounds like a scooter. Now, in the dark some more. Cannot cannot, sounds like a rebel.

Grrrr... so dense!

Then one night, something happened that I was convinced it was a sign.

I was sleeping when suddenly I awoke in the middle of the night, humming a familiar tune I used to sing during my Girl Guide days. Remembering some of the words, I did a quick google and got the following result:

Scout Vespers

I should feel spooked at this time. Instead, I was elated!

I shared with Clem excitedly the morning he awoke. He was skeptical. Then I recited the lyrics to him. Meaningful right? Meaningful right? It's so reflective.

Ya ya ya, was his way of entertaining my ridiculous outburst.

Anyway, I was a good persuader and salesman so eventually he got used to the idea. I kept calling our baby Vesper, to get him into it. Clem said now the name has a nice ring to it.

I shared the name with our kids. Cavan wrinkled his nose and asked "What, it sounds like a TV show!"

Curious, I asked which show had Vesper?

"Vesper Housewives, your favourite show!"

This boy is really funny. Desperate Housewives lah, I corrected him.

Anyway, here are the lyrics to Scout Vespers.

Scout Vespers
Softly falls the light of day,
While our campfire fades away.
Silently each scout should ask:
"Have I done my daily task?
Have I kept my honor bright?
Can I guiltless sleep tonight?
Have I done and have I dared
Everything to be prepared.?"
Listen Lord, oh listen Lord,
As I whisper soft and low,
Bless my Mom and bless my Dad,
There is something they should know.
I have kept my honor bright.
The Oath and Law has been my guide.
Mom and Dad, this you should know,
Deep in my heart I love you so.

No comments: