Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

75th percentile

Cavan's height had all along been 75th percentile since he was 1 month old. This means he is taller than 750 babies and shorter than 250 babies his age and gender given a sample of 1000. People ask, who does Cavan inherit his height from, since Clem and myself are not very tall (ok, I'm short). Perhaps from Clem's maternal grandpa. Quite a tall and feisty person for a 80+ year-old. Perhaps my dad, whom people say is tall as well.

What I was concerned with was that Cavan's head was also on 75th percentile. This is not news to us, as we sometimes had difficulty putting on a T-shirt for Cavan cos his head will get in the way. So we usually buy tops with buttons by the shoulder. I was concerned cos the nurse brought it up. In the past development assessments, no one had ever mentioned although on record, Cavan's head had consistently been that percentile. The nurse said if it had been consistent, then shouldn't be a cause for concern. But why did she bring it up? Should I bring Cavan for a check?

I surfed the internet for info. As the growth has not deviated from normal development and had consistently been on the same graph line, shouldn't be worried. It says that 75th percentile for head circumference coupled with higher percentile for height indicates that baby might be tall.

Well, my parents say that I have a big head too. That's true. I can't even fit into Clem's hat and some glasses are too tight for me. Cavan could get his big head from me.

Now, that's a relief.

No comments: