Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, February 07, 2005

D-Day (Daddy's account)

31 Jan 05
3pm: Went to Dr Ang’s clinic at 3pm. Dr Ang examined Ann and told us that Bebe hasn’t faced down and was still quite high. He advised us to go for induction. We were both rather reluctant, hoping that Bebe would come by natural birth. Still, we heeded his professional advice. We were told to check-in to TMC by 10.30pm. Ann was quite worried and I had to assure her that things would be ok.


8.30pm: Still at home preparing the bags to be brought to TMC. Suddenly realized that we have so many things to bring. Making the last minute checks to ensure that didn’t leave any important stuff out. In order to calm Ann’s nerves, we decided to take some photos before we leave for TMC. Ann was at her best: pregnant and beautiful.

10pm: Drove to Novena for supper before checking in. By the time we reached TMC, it was already 11.15pm. God must be watching over us. There was no more single suite so TMC gave us a 2-bedded room. This means that I get to sleep on the other bed. Dr Ang came around 11.45pm to insert a pill into Ann, said it would bring on the contractions. We cuddled for awhile, enjoying the last few moments by ourselves.

Tuesday, FEBRUARY 01, 2005
9am: Ann was sent down to the observatory ward by 8.50am. Doc came around 9.30am to break the water bag. After Ann’s water bag burst, we were just waiting for the contractions to build up. Ann was still gloating over how useless the lady next to us when Dr Ang was checking on her.

12pm: Though only 3cm dilated, Ann was sent to the delivery suite as her contractions were coming on more regularly. The labor pains started to intensify but somehow her dilation was not getting wider. The nurse told Ann not to fight the pain, coz it will only make her more tense and slow down the dilation. She also gave Ann the gas mask to help her relief some pain. By now, the pain was starting to mount. Ann asked me if I would allow her to use epidural to ease her pain. I said I would do anything for her. The gas was beginning to take effect on Ann, making her drowsy and semi-conscious.

1pm: As the contraction starts to become stronger and faster, Ann was also becoming increasingly uncomfortable. I was holding her hand and preparing her for the next contraction with the help of the fetal analyzer. At the same time, I kept messaging her back to give her as much relief from the ache as possible. Ann was given an injection to her thigh to help take away some of the pain but when subsequent contractions came on, the pain killing seemed useless. One of the nurse said that my lunch was ready. When I asked Ann if I could leave her for a while to take my lunch, she murmured very softly to me not to go anywhere. Seeing my beloved in such tremendous pain, I couldn’t just go off and decided to stay by Ann’s side.

2pm: Dr Ang was supposed to come at 2pm to check of Ann’s progress. He had also given instructions for Ann to be put on drip if her dilation was not more than 7cm. She was only at 5cm. We told the nurse that we didn’t want the drip and chose to wait for Dr to come. By this time, Ann was near the end of her pain threshold. She would swing her hand and grasping tightly to her pillow for support at each contraction. The respire between the contractions was also getting shorter.

3pm: Ann started to have some ‘show’ which was thick pool of blood flowing out of her womb. The nurse said it was normal, a sign to signify that Bebe was on his way. When she measured Ann’s cervix, it was about 7-8 cm dilated. Two other nurses came in and started preparations for the delivery. They propped up Ann’s legs wide, directed the lights towards Ann’s abdomen and set up the equipment table for Dr. All this while, I was making sure that I was giving Ann all the help she needs, thru messaging and talking to her. During one of the contraction, Ann suddenly blurted out that she feel a strong urge to push. The nurse told her to take in deep breathes to hold back the urge. She also told Ann that she could now take off the gas mask in preparation for the delivery. Ann was very reluctant to give up her ‘clutch’ being the only form of pain relief she has to counter the enormous contraction pain. But still, she knew that the time was drawing near and relented.

3.45pm: Dr Ang came into the delivery suite and started his examination. He said that Bebe was already engaged and his head is visible. I was holding on to Ann’s hand so I couldn’t peep to look at my Bebe. In a single swift action, Dr sprung into his robes and started to talk to Ann about pushing. The nurse told me to support Ann’s head with my arm (the pre-natal lessons did come in handy). Dr readied Ann to push at the next contraction, while the nurses and I were also preparing for the correct cue. When it came, everyone yelled, “PUSH!!!”
“No good, Soann. Don’t shift yourself up. You will be exhausted before your baby comes. Keep your butt down.” Dr Ang told Ann.
We tried another two more times before Dr commented that Ann was becoming exhausted, and it would prolong the delivery. Still he assuringly told Ann to push one more time, and this time Bebe would come out. In one swift action, I saw from the corner of my eye, Dr taking out a vacuum pump and placing it near Ann’s womb.
“Soann, this time Baby will come out, ok? Are you ready? One. Two. Three, Puu……shh!!”
The next thing I see was the nurse carrying a tiny little creature and placing him on a heat warmer. He is so cute, with his eyes closed and hands clenched. I quickly grabbed my camera and started taking pictures of Baby Cavan. Just I started to zoom in on him, he opened his eyes. Then he started crying. I can’t believe my eyes. The baby we have been waiting for the past 9 and half months is finally here. CAVAN was born on 1 Feb 2005 at 1618hrs. A miracle and a precious gift from God.

Ann was tired but overjoyed. Dr had to stitch her up and the nurse had to clean her wound. But when I placed Baby Cavan into her arms, she was delighted. Both of us took our time to savor the every moment that this little bundle of joy is with us. I am so thankful that Ann was ok. She didn’t ask for the epidural in the end, and was able to went thru the entire delivery. What a strong wife I have! I am also thankful that Baby was healthy and well. Thanks be to God in the Highest for His favor and love.

No comments: